A. First off, you shouldn't need a GUI on a webserver anyway. If you
need any X applications, just forward X from your desktop (ssh -X
webserver).

B. Upgrading to Ubuntu 14.04 was a pain for me, too. It went smoothly on
exactly zero of my machines, to the point where I just reinstalled a few
from scratch and just reinstalled everything and copied the configurations
over. My own webserver went that way.

C. I believe most these cards are PCI-X 16:
http://pics.freakzilla.com/videocards.jpg

If you want to comeup to Shoreview and get one, let me know.