The problem with flaky routers is usually the limited amount of RAM
available to the routing table, my Actiontec M1000 has 14M available
and after some netflix streaming the router would routinely reboot or
lock up. I have since switched the router to transparent bridging mode
and do the PPPoE on my firewall and it has been rock solid 3 years
running now and supports multiple netflix streams.

In addition to the stability I also benefit from gaining access to an
additional IP address that would otherwise be wasted on the router and
I can do native IPv6 which my ISP supports.