If totally off, it can't be killed, but if on long enough for the RF network
to see it try to ping a tower it could be zapped before making any
connection the user would know about - unless the user was in a very
sophisticated lab setup and controls or spoofs that pinging.  Disabling
might be done by a fusible link that would fry circuitry.  Though this is
POSSIBLE, it's expensive to add such a programming step when a phone is
"commissioned", and it probably would make selling a used phone and changing
the code for a new legal owner hard or impossible.

Chuck