> Some are using the logic that people are killed over cell phones.  I
>> haven't heard any support that a kill switch deters further thefts or
>> deaths.
>>

> If no stolen phone can ever be used again because all of them have been
> killed, then they have no value to a thief and they won't be stolen.
>
> I think that's pretty obvious, but I'm not sure of how they can do it. If
> someone steals a phone and turns it off right way, then nothing's going to
> kill it, right?  It might then be sold and shipped to Hong Kong.  Are way
> saying that there is no way that it can then be used in Hong Kong because
> of the kill switch?  I just don't understand how that switch works -- what
> triggers it, and what is switching?

I thought that the way the kill switches work in other countries is that
the IMIE number is blocked and that a blocked IMIE number list is shared
between cell providers. As long as the phone goes to a country that shares
the IMIE block list with your country, then the phone is useless.

If this kill switch bill is implemented this way, I believe it would bring
us in line with Europe's kill switch policies.

Some phones might still make it from Minneapolis to some non IMIE
block-list country, but any low-level mugging thief won't have those
connections, and Iran and Cuba only need so many iPhones.

--
Michael Moore