On 2013.11.11 17:13, tclug at freakzilla.com wrote:
> Here's what I have right now:
This is a lot less serious than it looks. ZFS is just telling you there was an unexpected bit flip (and since it didn't affect a file, it
was likely in the metadata, which ZFS keeps a duplicate of on top of whatever redundancy you have). If you see tons of these errors on a
disk, it probably means the disk is going bad, but a single checksum error could have been anything. I'd clear the error and then run a
scrub to see if you do indeed have bigger issues. Do keep in mind that a scrub is generally as fast as the disk can be, but it will consume
as much I/O as it can.
I still have no idea what would be causing poor performance, though unless your disks really do have a lot of bad blocks and/or are failing.

>> I'm currently using a single-disk ZFS-on-root pool, another single-disk
>> pool, and a degraded 5-disk RAIDZ (NewEgg is so slow when is comes to
>> shipping replacements!),
>
> When I had a disk fail I just had Amazon send me a new one (gotta love
> Amazon Prime), and then sent the broken one in to WD for replacement. I
> don't think it hurts to have an extra spare lying around!
I bought 3 WD Reds from NewEgg and 2 from Amazon - one disk from each shipment was DOA. Amazon sent me a replacement with overnight shipping
and a label to return the defective one. NewEgg made me pay for the shipping label and wouldn't send me a replacement until they got the
defective one. The day after they got the defective one, they shipped out the replacement with the cheap 4-7 business day shipping. Amazon
has the same or better prices than NewEgg on stuff now, so I have definitely moved to Amazon as my first place to buy stuff (especially now
that I got 6 months of Amazon Prime free for being a student).