On Mon, 11 Nov 2013, Andrew Berg wrote:

> zpool status should tell you if it's doing something like scrubbing or resilvering. However, there isn't a whole lot to be done until you
> start writing data.

Yeah, it's not saying anything. And zpool iostat doesn't show anything
that looks unusual to me (there are a lot of zeros in there). I was hoping
that, like with an md raid, it takes a while to actually construct the
array even though it lets you use it right away. If that's not the case
then this guy is being crazy slow for no reason.

> zpool status should tell you what kind of error (read/write/checksum),
> and which files, if any, were affected.

You would think so, right? (: But all it says is that there has been an
error and it tried to fix it. status -x shows the device. Nothing about
that device in syslog or anywhere else. This is my problem - I have no
information and I do NOT like it.

Here's what I have right now:
   # zpool status -x
     pool: media
    state: ONLINE
   status: One or more devices has experienced an unrecoverable error.  An
   	   attempt was made to correct the error.  Applications are
            unaffected.
   action: Determine if the device needs to be replaced, and clear the
            errors using 'zpool clear' or replace the device with 'zpool
            replace'.
    see: http://zfsonlinux.org/msg/ZFS-8000-9P
   scan: none requested
   config:

 	NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
 	media       ONLINE       0     0     0
 	  raidz2-0  ONLINE       0     0     0
 	    sdb     ONLINE       0     0     0
 	    sdc     ONLINE       0     0     1
 	    sdd     ONLINE       0     0     0
 	    sde     ONLINE       0     0     0
 	    sdf     ONLINE       0     0     0
 	    sdg     ONLINE       0     0     0
 	    sdh     ONLINE       0     0     0
 	    sdi     ONLINE       0     0     0

   errors: No known data errors

As you can see there is no info to go on at all other than there was a
checksum error.

> I'm currently using a single-disk ZFS-on-root pool, another single-disk
> pool, and a degraded 5-disk RAIDZ (NewEgg is so slow when is comes to
> shipping replacements!),

When I had a disk fail I just had Amazon send me a new one (gotta love
Amazon Prime), and then sent the broken one in to WD for replacement. I
don't think it hurts to have an extra spare lying around!