On Sat, 8 Jun 2013, Rick Engebretson wrote:

> Jason Hsu wrote:
>
>> It sounds great except for the inclusion of Ubuntu.  This is a
>> double-whammy.  First, there is the user-unfriendly Unity interface.
>> Second, I'm not sure 1 GB of memory is enough for Ubuntu, as it's now
>> as heavy as Windows 7 or Windows Vista.  Debian with 256 MB of memory
>> (the Raspberry Pi setup) can smoke Ubuntu with 1 GB of memory.
>

> I actually appreciate this advice.

I think Jason's focus on resource use and system requirements of various
OSes and distros is a good thing for our group.  If his enthusiasm
sometimes causes him to make incorrect statements, then feel free to
correct him, just like we correct everyone else.  I don't think the "he
always does that" angle adds much value.

Ubuntu has been focusing more on recent hardware, so it can't work on
machines where the CPU doesn't support PAE.  That means that you have to
install a different kernel on non-PAE machines.  I guess the memory
requirements have to do with the desktop/GUI more than anything else -- as
others have pointed out -- but it must be harder to install Ubuntu without
installing the default desktop system.  Ubuntu could maintain older
versions of Gnome in the repository -- do they do that?  I know they have
some other desktop options in there.  Of course there's also Lubuntu and
Xubuntu.

Mike