On Sat, 8 Jun 2013, Florin Iucha wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 08, 2013 at 12:32:48AM -0500, Yaron wrote:
>>> It sounds great except for the inclusion of Ubuntu.
>>
>> Jason, seriously. You can't automatically dismiss everything that
>> has Ubuntu written on it.
>
> Yes, you're right!  Warthy Warthog was awesome!  All the goodness of
> Debian with the latest X.org and Gnome 2!  And regular updates.

I... never said you have to automatically love Ubuntu. Just saying don't
have on something just because it mentions Ubuntu, especially something
where Ubuntu is COMPLETELY optional.

On a somewhat different note: I've been running Ubuntu for... many years,
and I still use the SAME BASIC CONFIGURATION I have since the day I
installed it for the first time. My desktop is on 13.04, and I'm still
running X with WindowMaker. Not KDE, not Gnome, not Unity. And when I
upgrade Ubuntu, do you know how much configuration I have to do to get
that to work? ZERO.

And you know something? It's the same setup I used when I ran debian,
before I switched to Ubuntu. And you know something else? It's the same
serup I used when I ran Red Hat before that. Used the same setup on
FreeBSD and even Solaris.

Ubuntu still works for me, and I'm hardly what you'd call a newbie. If it
ever stops working I can easily switch (and goodness knows I am sometimes
heavily tempted). I'm not in love with it, but I do not understand the
MASSIVE hate for it. And I /definitely/ don't understand dismissing a
really nice $99 ARM machine because they may recommend an Ubuntu build
for it, especially since the Ubuntu they recommend is, as you say, apples
and orangutans from the desktop version.