> Why couldn't they go and make pwetty Mac apps on their shinny silver
> 'books and let us, the unenlightened masses wallow in the mire?
> We have to
> make a new one, in Javascript, and remove the ability to use applets
> to people will be forced to use the one true clock.

I don't really understand all of the complaining about the changes to
Gnome/KDE/etc.  This is free software.  If you would like to use the
older versions of Gnome, go right ahead.  The source code is there
waiting for you.  Go compile it to your heart's content.  Even though
I don't currently use it, I happen to like the latest version of KDE.
You don't like it?  Good for you.  This is free software.  You have
the freedom to use an older version without anyone getting in your
way.

I am currently using an prerelease of e17 as my desktop environment.
It is more stable (for whatever reason) than the "stable" version.
Free software is great because I don't have to whine and complain to
anyone that their new version isn't as good as their old version.  I
can just grab the old one, compile it, and away I go.  That's
freedom... not having to depend on a company to serve you their latest
offering on a silver silicon chip.

That being said, if you used to be a Ubuntu user, I can understand
your distaste for the decisions they've made recently that make you
put in the time to switch to something else.  It's a pain in the butt
that I had to go through last year.  However, there are many other
fantastic Debian-based distros to choose from.  Take your pick.

-Max