On Mon, 21 Jan 2013, Mike Miller wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Jan 2013, Michael Greenly wrote:
>
>> I wonder if the phone was having problems falling back go 2G?
>
> That's possible.  The phone could be bad.  It's a new Nexus 4.  I'm sure
> I have all the settings right, though.
>
> The other thing is I get no data service in my home, not even 2G.

Someone else wrote off-list to tell me that he had data service in Madison
back in October.  He wonders if there might be something wrong with my
phone.  There could be something wrong with the phone (Nexus 4).  It
definitely had working data service when I bought it, and at least on that
first day I used it to navigate around town a little bit (actually to go
pick up that $80 Kindle Fire).

The settings are correct -- so I don't have data turned off.  I agree that
it is worse than expected.  I can't explain it.  I'll definitely drive
around a little and see what it does before I return it.

If WiFi is on, and there is no WiFi signal, it should fall back to
4G/3G/2G data connection, right?  I assume I don't have to turn off WiFi
to get that to work.

I also had no data yesterday in the Cub Foods at E. Lake and 25th Ave S.,
so I couldn't Google a Red Box movie to see if I might like it.  Things
like that shouldn't happen in a city of this size.

Mike