On Mon, 14 Jan 2013, Yaron wrote:

> I have this firmly in the "I'll Believe It When I See It" category.
> Plus, to be honest, I'm fairly happy with Android on my phones. Heck, I
> can install sshd and login to the thing if I want to. I don't feel the
> need to be running Alpine or compiling code on a mobile device with a
> small screen.

I don't know much about what's been going on lately in the smart phone
world.  I've had a Palm Pre since it came out and it has not gone well.
I'm thinking of either dumping the phone service altogether (using Google
Voice, plus my wife's cell on weekends is probably good enough), or maybe
trying an Android phone.

The Nexus 4 sounds really cool.  They say they'll have some at the
T-Mobile store next week.  It is a lot of money with a two-year contract,
but then I'd be staying with the modern world where everyone has a cell
phone.  Is that really worth $2/day?  I'm trying to decide.

Google seems to sell an unlocked contract-free Nexus 4, but they are
currently sold out:

https://play.google.com/store/devices/details/Nexus_4_16GB?id=nexus_4_16gb

Maybe I should be waiting for that.

Does anyone know if the Ubuntu for Android should work on the Nexus 4, if
it ever comes out?  Maybe it's supposed to work on any Android system,
regardless of the processor type, because it will use the Android kernel,
but maybe that isn't even possible and different Ubuntu-for-Android
systems will have to be released for different processors.

> Now on my tablets, that may be a different story.

Coincidentally, I just ran across this:

The LINUX TABLET IS THE FUTURE - and it always will be
The Penguin Xmas present that'll never be in the present
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/12/26/year_of_the_linux_tablet/

Mike