> Given the excellent advice, I am now thinking of wiping out the Mint KDE
> partition
>
> and using Mint Debian edition instead.
>
> 1.       Is there a safe way of doing this?

There's always danger when partitioning hard drives. The
least-dangerous way I've found is to boot into a live CD, fire up
gParted and delete all the linux partitions I want to overwrite. That
leaves a Windows partition, a Windows recovery (depending on the
computer) and a big chunk of free-space.

Then when I'm running the installer I choose the "use free space" option.

I do it this way because gParted has been more user-friendly and
reliable to me than installer partitioning tools. Being in the live CD
environment also means that you can mount the partitions you're about
to erase to double check that they're the correct ones.

> 2.       What desktop environment comes with the Debian edition?
> a.       Or, what would you recommend ?
> b.      And, how would I get/install it?

Mint Debian edition can be obtained here:
http://www.linuxmint.com/download_lmde.php
There's a Mate/Cinnamon version and an XFCE version.

I have a very slight preference for the Mate desktop, but I do keep
XFCE on one of my laptops. Either would be a fine choice.

On the actual download page there's a link for a torrent file, or for
a direct download of the ISO which you can burn. I usually pick the
torrent, since it tends to be faster for me, but either way will work
fine.

Burn the ISO to a DVD, pop it in and follow the prompts.

--
Michael Moore