> I've really enjoyed my Macs.  Even if you don't want to run OS X, you can still but Linux, BSD, or Windows on there with little difficulty.  If the price is too high, there are great deals on refurbished models:
>
> http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac
>
> The hardware is a solid performer, and they machines are rugged, especially the unibody models that are standard for the last 3-4 years.

I used to be a Mac guy, and actually got into Linux with Yellow Dog
Linux on a G3 iBook because Gimp didn't run (or didn't run well) on
OSX way back when.

A Macbook Pro was a contender this time around, but the only model
that's in my budget is the 13 inch. That's a little smaller than I
want, and it only has 1280x800 resolution. I do think they're made
well though, and recommend them to family and friends.

--
Michael Moore