I've really enjoyed my Macs.  Even if you don't want to run OS X, you can still but Linux, BSD, or Windows on there with little difficulty.  If the price is too high, there are great deals on refurbished models:

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

The hardware is a solid performer, and they machines are rugged, especially the unibody models that are standard for the last 3-4 years.
-----
Eric F Crist