On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 1:46 AM, Yaron <tclug at freakzilla.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 25 May 2012, Jason Hsu wrote:
>> 2. Do I need an unlocked phone, or is it enough to avoid deals that
>> require a contract?
>

> Actually there's a bit more to this.
>
> Are you planning on using this phone? With your current provider? If so it's
> VERY important you get a compatible one. A Verizon phone will not work with
> any other provider, for example. That's the case with MOST phones except in
> theory AT&T and T-Mobile, and THEN you need an unlocked phone to move
> networks. So I need to know what you plan on doing and who your provider is.
>
> If you're NOT going to use the phone bit, but JUST use WiFi, then you just
> need a no-contract.... in theory. I don't know what kind of requirements
> carriers have put on their phones.

Further clarification regarding AT&T/T-Mobile: they are compatible
voice and EDGE data networks, but their 3G and faux-G networks run on
different frequencies.  Mobile data is painfully slow when using a
phone from one of these networks on the other.  At least by today's
standards.
And don't try to use a smartphone on a network and just turn off
mobile data.  I know for sure AT&T will catch you and start charging
you for data, even if you don't use it, and I'm sure other networks
will do similar.  T-mobile may be your best chance at avoiding such
shenanigans.  They seem to be more easy going about stuff like that.
That said, if you don't want to use it as a phone at all, but as an
Android "iPod touch" you're just fine.  Don't install a SIM card if
it's an AT&T or T-mobile phone, and don't activate it if it's a
Verizon or Sprint phone, and you're fine.
- Justin