On Fri, 25 May 2012, Jason Hsu wrote:

> 1.  What does "wifi enabled" mean?

Means it has WiFi, but they're not selling you a WiFi network (: You'll be
able to connect to WiFi networks though.

> 2. Do I need an unlocked phone, or is it enough to avoid deals that
> require a contract?

Actually there's a bit more to this.

Are you planning on using this phone? With your current provider? If so
it's VERY important you get a compatible one. A Verizon phone will not
work with any other provider, for example. That's the case with MOST
phones except in theory AT&T and T-Mobile, and THEN you need an unlocked
phone to move networks. So I need to know what you plan on doing and who
your provider is.

If you're NOT going to use the phone bit, but JUST use WiFi, then you just
need a no-contract.... in theory. I don't know what kind of requirements
carriers have put on their phones.

> 3.  What do you think of the Samsung SPH-M820, Motorola Droid 2 A955,
> and Sony Ericsson XPERIA Play?  These are on Google Play's list of
> compatible devices and have decent reviews.

I don't know about the Xperia, but the other two are CDMA and I think will
only work on Verizon. And the Xperia is a... weird game device that's also
a phone, I'd kinda avoid that for development. I'd guess that the Droid 2
would be a good phone for development as it was fairly popular.

-Yaron