> > I have yet to build a system with swap and /
> > partitions and found it to have been a bad decision.

all raid1 pairs:
sd[ab]1:md0:  os0 /boot:  300m
sd[ab]2:md1:  os1 /boot:  300m
sd[ab]3:md2:  os0 swap:  10g
sd[ab]5:md3:  os1 swap:  10g
sd[ab]6:md4:  os0 lvm:  half of remainder
sd[ab]7:md5:  os1 lvm:  the other half

start lvm with 2-10g for "the OS" ("/"), easily add custom data volumes,
openvz volumes, snapshots, all expandable/recyclable, even absorb os1 into
os0 at any time.  i keep swap outside of lvm mostly so i have partitions to
play with if i need to play games with installations and/or recovery.  i
used to use the same swap space for os0 and os1 until rhel6 came out with a
new raid1 format incompatible with the rhel5 raid1 format.