LVM, LVM, LVM!  keep some disk space unallocated, it will be a life saver!

lots of good ideas and common server practices around separating out
partitions - you can't plan for everything so, might as well plan for
out of disk space - and build out a practical reserve that can be used
any time.  the days of rebooting to add or grow a partition are gone!

make a standard for your environment, stick with it.  there are always
exceptions - might as well have a common starting point.

good luck.