On Fri, May 04, 2012 at 09:10:44PM -0500, Robert Nesius wrote:
> I'm inclined to not segregate partitions out anymore.  The days of systems
> crashing when /var is full are pretty much long gone (at least for linux),
> and most systems come with good default log rotation schemes set up.
>
> If I make a partition for a piece of the filesystem big enough to not have
> to worry about it, I'm wasting disk.  If I make it to small, I'm wishing I
> hadn't used partitions.  I have yet to build a system with swap and /
> partitions and found it to have been a bad decision.

I do segregate / + /usr from /var and /tmp because the files contained
have different life cycles, and I still try to avoid unnecessary
fragmentation of directory contents.

These days I'm leaving 8-12G for / (includes /usr), 2-4G for var, 4-8G
for swap (and mount /tmp as tmpfs so it only uses swap if needed) and
the rest split between /home, /scratch and /whatever-other-project-dir.

Cheers,
florin

--
Beware of software written by optimists!