On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 10:53, Erik Anderson <erikerik at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 10:26 AM, Jason Hsu <jhsu802701 at jasonhsu.com> wrote:
>> Ubuntu has now caught up with Windows in the bloatware department and can no longer make this claim.
>
> Recent versions of Windows (where recent = Windows 7+) do not bear out
> your "bloatware" statement (unless you're including the crapware-laden
> OEM installs of Windows that manufacturers ship on their machines).
>
> I run OSX as my primary OS, but use a Windows 7 VM extensively for AD
> management, for running the VMware vSphere client, website testing in
> IE, and a few other tasks. I have it running within VirtualBox with
> 512 megs of ram. Yes, a half gig. I'll regularly have the VM running
> for *weeks* between reboots with zero performance issues. Typically
> the only time I reboot it is when VBox application updates come along.
> If it weren't for VBox updates, the Win7 VM would likely stay running
> until an OSX kernel (reboot required) update came along.

that is funny, because that is not my experience with windows 7 at all.
I just installed Windows 7 Enterprise (not part of my job, but
sometimes you cannot help it) on a system with 2GB ram. It ran out of
memory and slowed to a crawl just doing the post install system
updates. Stock system. Nothing on it. Brand new hardware(and yes, i
have considered defective hardware but the symptoms are not that of
bad hardware).

I am not saying Ubuntu is any better: i am sick and tired of Ubuntu's
callousness with RAM and Cycles. I really do not want it to check for
updates every time it wakes up because it is a netbook. i put it to
sleep maybe 20 times a day. Waking up the wireless card, spending one
or two minutes to decide that my network is not in range and trying
all the other ones before failing or worse, getting stuck in a captive
portal. If it does work, it will then proceed to rebuild a bunch of
databases sucking up more CPU and precious Disk IO, RIGHT WHEN I NEED
IT MOST.

And yes, i can and have disabled all that. But the fact that the
Ubuntu devs thought it was a good idea in the first place tells me
that they have an even more limited user base targeted. than the usual
Linux developers and i am not in that user base.