On Mon, 7 Nov 2011, Jason Hsu wrote:

> As a Linux user,

Aha, that's the root of the problem.

No, it's not as a "Linux user" that you don't think you'll need a
current-level powerful desktop. It's just the kind of COMPUTER user you
are.

Ten, maybe fifteen years ago I was also using low-end machines to get
computers to do what I wanted, and I was using Linux BECAUSE it was the
only OS that could do the things I wanted on the hardware I could get my
hands on. I didn't need to spend tons of money on equipment back then.

Nowadays, though... you know, I could still get low-end machines to do the
things I need, but it would take them days if not weeks to accomplish
those tasks. There was a time when you needed Windows or a mac to do a lot
of this stuff, no matter how modern your computer was. Nowadays,
thankfully, Linux can do a lot of them.

What I'm trying to say is your needs and lifestyle should dictate your OS,
not the other way round.

-Yaron