On Sun, 06 Nov 2011 21:31:41 -0600
"Mr. B-o-B" <mr.chew.baka at gmail.com> wrote:

> Let's be real here.  8G of RAM (DDR3) costs about $40.00 these days
> pretty much anywhere for desktop use.  Based on this, who cares how much
> ram is being consumed during idle for a desktop.  If it's not enough,
> $40.00 more will get you up to 16Gigs.
>
> What you call Heavy Weight/bloated I call normal.

Hehe, the computers I have max out at 2-4 GB of RAM.  This year, I've given away two desktop computers that maxed out at 512 MB of RAM.  One of these desktops had a 4.3 GB hard drive.

As a Linux user, I don't plan to EVER buy a new desktop computer again.  Desktop computers depreciate rapidly, which is good news for the buyers of used computers.  In a few years, I'm sure there will be $50 desktop computers with 16 GB of RAM.  I bet that the expiration of Windows XP support will unleash a flood of used computers and really depress used computer prices.  That will be an opportunity to bridge the digital divide by putting Linux on the used computers and giving them to poor people who can't afford new computers.

--
Jason Hsu <jhsu802701 at jasonhsu.com>