On Mon, 7 Nov 2011, Yaron wrote:

> What I'm trying to say is your needs and lifestyle should dictate your
> OS, not the other way round.

I use a lot of different machines for a lot of different purposes.
Sometimes I have 64 GB of RAM and sometimes 1 GB of RAM.  Sometimes I'm
using a 5 TB RAID and sometimes a single 6 GB HDD.  Like most of you I can
remember when 1 GB RAM with 6 GB HDD was a mind-blowingly amazing monster
of a system that would cost hundreds of thousands of dollars (or much,
much more if you want to go back even farther in time).  When I first used
Linux in about 1996, it was working great, doing X11 in color for a lot
less money than our Sun computers.  Maybe we had 16 MB of RAM back then
and maybe a 750 MB HDD, but that's all, and Linux ran beautifully on that.

I know that RAM prices and HDD prices are really low now compared to just
a few years ago (though HDD just shot way up because of Thailand flooding,
supposedly), but it's still great to be able to use old hardware around
the house for things like playing music by streaming MP3 files across the
home network.

So I think it is important that people are willing to work on maintaining
Linux distros that allow us to use old, cheap machines.  More options is
better.  Maybe I'll try Swift Linux on an old box sometime soon.

Mike