Hello Chuck,

On 3/29/2011 3:34 PM, Chuck Cole wrote:
> Have searched Google, Motorola, and Linksys, but don't find answers for
> these 4 questions...
>
> Four questions:
>
> 1) Is there a reason for a DOCSIS 1.1 modem to have some dropout and speed
> anomalies when connected to Charter?
Most likely hardware limitations. It is fairly easy to run out of
memory/cpu time when you have a bunch of connections open. using
torrents are a great way of saturating, try downloading a popular
torrent with 30 download slots, then try 3000. You modem needs to keep
track of all the dynamic port forwards (NAT).

Keep an eye on when the slowdowns and dropouts occur, if it is fairly
random, it *may* be your modem, if it is always between 6PM - 10PM, it
probably means your local hub (cable modem termination system) probably
does not have enough provisioned bandwidth (Charter issue).
> 2) Is a DOCSIS 2.0 modem likely to cure those anomalies?  Is DOCSIS the only
> relevant spec?
DOCSIS is a specification for providing IP over CATV lines. So yes, if
you are using a traditional cable provider (such as Charter). If you get
a beefier modem this may alleviate the issues you are noticing. I
haven't read the spec. so I really couldn't tell you the differences
between the revisions.
> 3) Download rate by WiFi in a clear 54MHz G channel with high S/N is only
> about half the rate of a wired LAN connection.. why?

You may be confusing frequency with bandwidth. The Wireless G
specification provides maximum of 54Mbps, or 6.75MBps, a titch over half
of a standard 100Mbps port.
> 4)  Can I fix my WiFi download rate to be nearly the same as wired LAN rate?
Look at the Wireless N specification and devices. They provide ~300Mbps
with a adequate wireless N client access card.

I may have happened to read the question wrong also, so I will answer
the alternate (Can you achieve the same /internet/ speed with WiFi and
wired).

If you receive ~15Mbps from Charter but you only see 7.5 via WiFi you
are most likely on a busy WiFi channel. Try different channels, or
perform a site survey and make sure to not choose a neighbors channel.