Have searched Google, Motorola, and Linksys, but don't find answers for
these 4 questions...

Four questions:

1) Is there a reason for a DOCSIS 1.1 modem to have some dropout and speed
anomalies when connected to Charter?

2) Is a DOCSIS 2.0 modem likely to cure those anomalies?  Is DOCSIS the only
relevant spec?

3) Download rate by WiFi in a clear 54MHz G channel with high S/N is only
about half the rate of a wired LAN connection.. why?

                 How can I detect specific problem(s)?

4)  Can I fix my WiFi download rate to be nearly the same as wired LAN rate?

Info:

I have only "Internet Express" basis service from Charter.  As of Jan 1 or
so, Charter increased download speeds.  They said I needed a modem upgrade
and that Linksys BEFCMU10 V1, 2, & 3 modems are "blacklisted", but would not
identify what spec I did not meet, nor what spec I needed.  Just wanted me
to buy from them.  I bought my own used.  I had some mysteries, so I
"upgraded" from a DOCSIS 1.1 modem to a DOCSIS 2.0 model.  Supposedly, both
specs are compatible with Charter, and each spec has a large "headroom" from
its maximum download or upload rate (ie, download is about 1/3 max rate).

Using my old DOCSIS 1.1 modem, I had 12.4 mbps download speed by wired LAN,
but I had very infrequent unexplained interruptions (2-3 weekly) of my VOIP
phone connection that I had not experienced before the Charter speed
increase.

When asked at escalated tech support levels, Charter's USA-based tech
support says "we're not trained to answer specification questions, nor to do
the Cisco supported upgrade of a Linksys v3 modem to DOCSIS 2.0".
Apparently, they are only monkeys trained to make settings on the brands and
models they sell.  Tier 1 or non-USA help is not that good.

With a DOCSIS 2.0 modem, download speed by wired LAN is 15.8mbps.  Have not
experienced VOIP dropouts, but those are rare and hasn't been a week yet.

Only get approx 1/2 download speed via WiFi as from wired LAN connection per
Charter's speed test at

          http://spt01rochmn.roch.mn.charter.com/

most helpful Google link was:

How to Fix your Slow Internet Connection

has test suggestions

http://www.labnol.org/internet/fix-slow-internet-connection/13619/

Test #3. To ensure that none of the viruses or spyware programs are
responsible for your slow Internet, open command prompt and run the
following command:

netstat -b -f 5

( no -f  option in any variant of netstat I can locate )

See no excesses with netstat -b      What tool might show an activity or
overhead in my WiFi link?

Chuck