Thanks, but...

> Hello Chuck,
>
> On 3/29/2011 3:34 PM, Chuck Cole wrote:
> > Have searched Google, Motorola, and Linksys, but don't find answers for
> > these 4 questions...
> >
> > Four questions:
> >
> > 1) Is there a reason for a DOCSIS 1.1 modem to have some
> dropout and speed anomalies when connected to Charter?

> Most likely hardware limitations. It is fairly easy to run out of
> memory/cpu time when you have a bunch of connections open.

Not the case.  Applies to simplest single connection and unloaded fast
enough hardware.

> Keep an eye on when the slowdowns and dropouts occur, if it is fairly
> random, it *may* be your modem, if it is always between 6PM - 10PM, it
> probably means your local hub (cable modem termination system) probably
> does not have enough provisioned bandwidth (Charter issue).

Not the case.  Testing 2am-4am with my system unloaded.

> > 2) Is a DOCSIS 2.0 modem likely to cure those anomalies?  Is
> DOCSIS the only
> > relevant spec?

> DOCSIS is a specification for providing IP over CATV lines. So yes, if
> you are using a traditional cable provider (such as Charter). If you get
> a beefier modem this may alleviate the issues you are noticing. I
> haven't read the spec. so I really couldn't tell you the differences
> between the revisions.

Both specs are stated compatible.  All rates well within both specs.  No
problem within the main spec criteria, so "beefier" does not seem to apply
at all.  How can you presume any reason if you have no knowledge of the
specs and don't state a possible cause?

> > 3) Download rate by WiFi in a clear 54MHz G channel with high
> S/N is only
> > about half the rate of a wired LAN connection.. why?
> >
> You may be confusing frequency with bandwidth. The Wireless G
> specification provides maximum of 54Mbps, or 6.75MBps, a titch over half
> of a standard 100Mbps port.

Don't think so.  See below..

> > 4)  Can I fix my WiFi download rate to be nearly the same as
> wired LAN rate?
> Look at the Wireless N specification and devices. They provide ~300Mbps
> with a adequate wireless N client access card.
>
> I may have happened to read the question wrong also, so I will answer
> the alternate (Can you achieve the same /internet/ speed with WiFi and
> wired).

That *IS* the question.

> If you receive ~15Mbps from Charter but you only see 7.5 via WiFi you
> are most likely on a busy WiFi channel. Try different channels, or
> perform a site survey and make sure to not choose a neighbors channel.

Data given above stated "clear channel with high S/N"

Are you saying that I should get the same ~15Mbps on WiFi as LAN per
Charter's speed test?  I think I should, unless there's some detectable
overhead. that I have not been able to identify or detect.

Chuck