-----Original Message-----
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 15:06:24 -0500
From: Brian Wood <woodbrian77 at gmail.com>
To: tclug-list at mn-linux.org
Subject: [tclug-list] syslog question
I have a user who is running this program http://webEbenezer.net/misc/cmwAmbassador.cc
on an Ubuntu system.  They aren't getting log messages in /var/log/messages.  I don't have access to their machine and don't have an Ubuntu machine here.  Am wondering what syslog related differences there are between Ubuntu and Fedora.  On my
Fedora machines things are working fine.  Suggestions?   I've had
them run the program with sudo but that make any difference.  TIA

--

Brian,

I would find out exactly what syslog they have installed:

  aptitude search sys | grep log

(look for an initial 'i' on the line) and what is running:

  ps -ef | grep syslog

I found this page:

  http://www.linuxselfhelp.com/gnu/glibc/html_chapter/libc_18.html

It helps explain what the syslog related code is doing.

Whether it is sysklogd or rsyslog, a line that looks like this in the configuration file:

  user.info		/var/log/cmwAmbassador.log

(with tab characters separating the two pieces of text) will probably start logging what you want.

Good luck,

Troy