On Wed, 22 Jun 2011, Robert Nesius wrote:

> Oh - looks like old-school syslog has been replaced by something
> modular.

I don't know anything about this, but I see that my Ubuntu system has two
files that look quite similar:

/etc/syslog.conf
/etc/rsyslog.d/50-default.conf

I didn't change those files by hand and they seem to be as old as my
Ubuntu version.  The only difference I could see was that the word
"warning" in /etc/syslog.conf was always shortened to "warn" in
/etc/rsyslog.d/50-default.conf.  So I did this test:

perl -pe 's/warning/warn/g' /etc/syslog.conf | diff - /etc/rsyslog.d/50-default.conf | less

After changing "warning" to "warn" the only remaining differences were in
the comments.

I just found this:

Mike