On Sat, 9 Jul 2011, Yaron wrote:

> On Sat, 9 Jul 2011, Mike Miller wrote:
>
>> I had to replace my motherboard and Ubuntu 10.10 won't reboot with the
>> new mobo.  I'm thinking the problem has to do with the drivers, but I'm
>> not sure. There could be more wrong.  The system claims that I don't
>> have a bootable drive -- is that what we would expect to see?
>
> Ok, that's very strange. I've used the same Ubuntu installation to boot
> on machines which not only had different motherboards, but different
> architectures (i.e., AMD-based on one and Intel-based on the other).
> I've got an Ubuntu installation on a thumbdrive that I've literally used
> to boot from a dozen or so different machines, too.
>
> The only reason you should have a problem would be if you had a 64-bit
> install and are now on a 32-bit machine. But that is EXTREMELY unlikely.
>
> What exactly is happening? How far is the boot process able to go? Do
> you get to grub at least?
>

> My instinct is to hold Shift while you boot, edit the grub boot line and
> remove the "quiet splash" part, that'll give you a more verbose boot
> process that'll be much much MUCH easier to debug.

OK, I'll give that a try later.  Right now I'm trying to install Ubuntu
10.10 as RAID 1 on two new 2TB HDDs.  The old boot drive is sitting in the
machine (case still open), but it isn't attached to the SATA.  Later I can
just detach the two new HDDs, connect the old boot drive to SATA port #1
and try your advice.

The thing is, I do want to switch to the two 2TB drives in a RAID1
(mirroring) arrangement.  Even if the old boot drive were still booting,
I'd have to do something to move everything to the new drives.  I'm still
not sure what that is, exactly, or how it would be different if the old
drive were still booting.

Mike