On Sat, 9 Jul 2011, Mike Miller wrote:

> I had to replace my motherboard and Ubuntu 10.10 won't reboot with the new
> mobo.  I'm thinking the problem has to do with the drivers, but I'm not sure.
> There could be more wrong.  The system claims that I don't have a bootable
> drive -- is that what we would expect to see?

Ok, that's very strange. I've used the same Ubuntu installation to boot on
machines which not only had different motherboards, but different
architectures (i.e., AMD-based on one and Intel-based on the other). I've
got an Ubuntu installation on a thumbdrive that I've literally used to
boot from a dozen or so different machines, too.

The only reason you should have a problem would be if you had a 64-bit
install and are now on a 32-bit machine. But that is EXTREMELY unlikely.

What exactly is happening? How far is the boot process able to go? Do you
get to grub at least?

My instinct is to hold Shift while you boot, edit the grub boot line and
remove the "quiet splash" part, that'll give you a more verbose boot
process that'll be much much MUCH easier to debug.

-Yaron