On Sat, 9 Jul 2011, Mike Miller wrote:

> The thing is, I do want to switch to the two 2TB drives in a RAID1
> (mirroring) arrangement.  Even if the old boot drive were still booting, I'd
> have to do something to move everything to the new drives.

Hmm. Ok, how far along this process are you? If you're able to get the
RAID set up through Ubuntu's setup (or if it's a hardware RAID) and then
get Ubuntu installed, that's a good start (:

Now, as for copying everything over... you /could/ get everything
installed with the sime filesystem design, and then boot from Ubuntu's
live CD, mount all the filesystems and just bulk-copy everything over.

Another option is to finish the installation, just copy your home
directory over (that should have all your configuration files etc), and
then use apt-get or synaptic or whatever the GUI version is to install any
programs you have missing. That's probably a bit safer.

Is that what you're looking at doing?

-Yaron