On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 03:19:43PM -0500, dutchman_mn at charter.net wrote:
> He said he was a student, I just did not know what school he went to and
> if they had academic discounts on Mac software.  I was pointing out that
> the U of M does offer Mac OSX licenses for purchase.  In this case, I
> was advocating the purchase of licensed software rather that downloading
> something that had been posted to some server.

As far as I know, running OS X on hardware (or virtual machines) not
explicitly sanctioned by Apple is against their terms of use.

If your school does not have a discount on Mac software and hardware,
you need to purchase it yourself in the Apple academic store.  Asking
somebody to buy it for you is again, against the terms of use.

>> On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 02:56:32PM -0500, dutchman_mn at charter.net
>> wrote:
>>> If you know a U of M student, you can have them purchase it for
>>> around $30+
>>
>> As long as you don't worry about violating the terms of use, what's
>> ignoring the academic terms of use?  Just some frosting on top...

I do not like those terms, but if you want to play in that garden, you
have to pay the gardener.

Cheers,
florin

--
Bruce Schneier expects the Spanish Inquisition.
      http://geekz.co.uk/schneierfacts/fact/163