You might want to reach out to Dave Richards[1], a GNOME developer,
who oversees a fairly large GNOME install for the city of Largo, FL. I
thought I remember him blogging something about similar a long time
ago.  Otherwise, I'm pretty sure Zeitgeist has functionality to do
something similar.

Paul

[1] http://davelargo.blogspot.com/