On Mon, 2011-02-14 at 12:45 -0600, Josh Trutwin wrote:
> Does anyone know if a log entry is created anywhere when a user launches
> an application from the gnome menu so I can gauge how much certain
> applications are used?  Yes I have to worry about launched from a
> terminal as well but many users don't know what a console is.

I don't have any idea myself but perhaps you could watch running
processes and track the PIDs and users to identify when a new instance
has started. If there is no such tracking data already available you
could add a little wrapper around the programs to include some
accounting function like updating a record in a DB or writing a log or
something.