On Monday, October 11, 2010 03:15:40 pm Erik Anderson wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 10:48 AM, Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom
>
> <chrome at real-time.com> wrote:
> > Anyone used Soekris hardware under Linux recently?
> >
> > http://www.soekris.com/
>
> Carl - I haven't used the Soekris boards specifically, but have
> extensively used PCEngines ALIX boards, which are very similar.
> Specifically, I've used their ALIX 2d3 board, which is a 500MHz Geode
> LX, 256MB RAM, 3 network interfaces, CF slot, 2xUSB, etc:
>
> http://www.pcengines.ch/alix2d3.htm
>
> I'm running pfSense (a NanoBSD-based firewall distro) on mine, but I
> know many people run linux on this platform as well.
>
> Highly recommended - mine runs very cool (no perceptable heat output
> at all), perfectly silent, and draws 6W max.
>
> I order mine from mini-box.com. With the board, power supply, and
> case, I believe it's about $150-$175 or so.
>
> -Erik

mini-ITX form factor atoms are really moving in on this space.  For $100
cheaper than I could get a soekris 5501 I got a dual core 1.6 ghz atom, with
dual gigE ethernet.  You can get very small mini-ITX cases that just use a 12
volt power brick.  My system pulls 20 watts a idle, almost entirely due to the
2.5" laptop hard drive it has.

--
Thanks,

Josh Paetzel