Fellow geeks,

I've been tinkering around with Ubuntu.  By default, Ubuntu's (any
modern distro applies, really) Xorg runs without a config file.
Presumably, it detects all your hardware on the fly and amazingly it
does a good job (compare that to XFree 3.x... yuck!)

Problems arise when the box can't detect the hardware.  For instance,
running thorugh a KVM switch.  Now instead of detecting my Dell flat
panel and pushing 1280x1024, I get a measly 800x600 and no option to
change it.  What I would like to do is set up Ubuntu running against
my flat panel, the way I like, and then dump the currently running
config to a config file so I can force that configuration when I'm
running through the KVM.  Anyone know if this is possible?

Alternately I fire up Knoppix, which still uses a config file and use
that to start tweaking.

Thanks,
Brian