I guess you should bypass the KVM switch for this and hook the monitor
directly to the computer. Then, a Xorg -configure should create a file
in your current working directory.
> -configure When  this  option is specified, the Xorg server loads all
> video driver modules, probes for available hardware, and writes out
> an initial xorg.conf(5) file based on what was detected.  This option
> currently has some problems on some platforms, but in most cases it
> is a  good way to bootstrap the configuration process.  This option
> is only available when the server is run as root (i.e, with real-uid
> 0).

Then I assume you should be able to modify the resolution to your
liking. Additional good reading at:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners%27_Guide#Step_3:_Configure_X_.28Optional.29

Hope that helps.

-Ove-