Ubu Sumner cried from the depths of the abyss...

> Do you think the P3 would have enough speed to rip CDs in Linux? I find my mobile 1.6GHz pentium servicable but slow. What do you think?

To be honest your 1.6Ghz is overkill for making legal backups of CD's.
The reason you mobile computing device seems slow is it probably has a
slow cd/dvd-rom, and a slow harddrive.  Most do, and this is common on
laptops.

Any of those Dell P3's would be fine.  Kick down twenty bucks, and replace
the cd/dvd with something faster.

I have a 400Mhz AMD K6-II w/ 512M of ram that I have used for 10 years to
mainly make legal backups of cd's.  It has 48x cdrom, and a decent
harddisk.  It can probably rip 2 - 3 cd's by the time you laptop finishes
one.  I only say this to stress my point that CPU isn't a huge factor.

Good Luck!

Mr. B-o-B