I guess it all depends on what you are expecting.  I have an old box I
use for ripping, I have don't really care how fast it is as I don't do a
ton of ripping every day, just when I purchase a new CD.  So, my old
computer rips and encodes a CD in about 15 minutes.  The old computer is
a P3 with a standard 20x CD.  I also have a power house workstation with
a 48x CD and a quad-core in it.  It takes about 3-5 minutes to rip a CD.
 So I guess it all depends on what your expectation is and how much
ripping you will be doing on a daily basis.

Thanks.