On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 10:28 AM, Jeff Nelson <stutterstutt at comcast.net>wrote:

> Florin Iucha wrote:
> > My Linksys WRT54G is dying on me and I'd like to replace it with a
> > real router/access point based on Linux and using only free software
> > drivers.
>
> Define "real".
>
> Don't give up on the Linksys just yet. You can run open source on it
> just fine if you have the right model (DD-Wrt, OpenWRT, others). THe
> price of a new WRT54GL (sold specifically for Linux hacking) is still
> cheaper than some of the options you're considering.

I can vouch for the DD-WRT distro's effectiveness on the WRT54G.
The Linksys firmware had me wanting to take the WRTT54G ice
fishing so I could show it the bottom of the lake.  DD-WRT has been
rock solid.  With Linksys conceding there's money to be made
just by selling the hardware with full knowledge their firmware is going to
get
blown away (in the GL line)... It's a pretty decent value proposition.

That said, these router board kits look like they could be fun.

-Rob