Florin Iucha wrote:
> My Linksys WRT54G is dying on me and I'd like to replace it with a
> real router/access point based on Linux and using only free software
> drivers.

Define "real".

Don't give up on the Linksys just yet. You can run open source on it
just fine if you have the right model (DD-Wrt, OpenWRT, others). THe
price of a new WRT54GL (sold specifically for Linux hacking) is still
cheaper than some of the options you're considering.

I also recommend the book "Linksys WRT54G: Ultimate Hacking" by Paul
Asadoorian and Larry Pesce (Syngress Press, ISBN 978-1-59749-166-2).
It'll give you a lot of ideas and how-to instructions.

-Jeff