On Thu, Mar 04, 2010 at 10:28:13AM -0600, Jeff Nelson wrote:
> Florin Iucha wrote:
> > My Linksys WRT54G is dying on me and I'd like to replace it with a
> > real router/access point based on Linux and using only free software
> > drivers.
>
> Define "real".

Reliable and working hardware.

My router used to need rebooting every half year or so.  I haven't made
any firmware or configuration changes in a while -- but it's still running
the latest published firmware.  Since two days ago, it needs daily
reboots, sometimes multiple in a row before it behaves nicely with the
other wi-fi devices I own.

> Don't give up on the Linksys just yet. You can run open source on it
> just fine if you have the right model (DD-Wrt, OpenWRT, others). THe
> price of a new WRT54GL (sold specifically for Linux hacking) is still
> cheaper than some of the options you're considering.

I have the right model, but the hardware is dying: I don't believe in
bit-rot and a single reboot should have cleared the flippin' bits that
were touched by gamma rays.

> I also recommend the book "Linksys WRT54G: Ultimate Hacking" by Paul
> Asadoorian and Larry Pesce (Syngress Press, ISBN 978-1-59749-166-2).
> It'll give you a lot of ideas and how-to instructions.

Thanks for the reference.
florin

--
Bruce Schneier expects the Spanish Inquisition.
      http://geekz.co.uk/schneierfacts/fact/163