Well, I think you need to specify WHICH GUI and WHICH commandline and what
exactly you're trying to do.

I think the common concensus is that commandlines are VASTLY more powerful
and flexible than a GUI, but that a GUI has a much easier learning curve.
Course, that's all a case-by-case basis and there's a lot of
apples-to-oranges. For example, it would be a lot easier to teach someone
who to use a bash commandline to copy files than it would be to teach
someone to use the GUI for friggin Photoshop.

As for whether something is lost when you use a GUI, consider the fact
that the simple 'ls' command has, what, 30+ switches? Yeah, you lose some
optins when you go to a GUI.

You also gain some things for specific applications. The aforementioned
Photoshop, for example. cropping an image visually is a hell of a lot
easier than with a GUI (unless you do repeatative batches, of course).

On Tue, 20 Jul 2010, r j wrote:

> I am taking  a tech writing class. I am writing an argument paper citing
> the benefits of using the command line VS the GUI. I would appreciate
> any opinions you would like to share.
> Do you think administration if faster using the command line ?
>
> How long did it take you to learn the GUI ?
>
> How long did it take you to learn to use the command line ?
>
> What are the major benefits of the command line ?
>
> What are the major benefits of using the GUI ?
>
> Do you think something was lost when the GUI came out ?
>
> Thank you for your time.
>
> Ron,
>
> --
>
> I never did give them hell. I just told the truth, and they thought it was
> hell        - Harry S Truman

-Yaron