From: r j <ronsmailbox5 at gmail.com>

In my case, I originally learned Unix on a command line system.  The CLI seems
more natural to me, but that might be due to my familiarit with it.

>How long did it take you to learn the GUI ?

Years.

>How long did it take you to learn to use the command line ?

Years.

>What are the major benefits of the command line ?

I feel it's more exact and specific.  It also is scriptable, whereas GUI isn't.

>What are the major benefits of using the GUI ?

Easier to learn.

>Do you think something was lost when the GUI came out ?

Most GUI interfaces are simply wrappers on top of a CLI interface.  In my
experience, not all command options are carried through to the GUI.  Some GUI
use icons that have a meaning that isn't always clear.  Each interface has it's
uses, and I find I use the one that meets the requirements of the task.  If it's
simple, like deleting a directory, I'll likely use the GUI.  If it's more
complicated, like figuring out what users are using how much disk space, I'll
use a CLI with a piped command (i.e. du -sk * | sort -n).