On 1/21/2010 9:58 AM, Raymond Norton wrote:
> I have a customer with a laptop that has died, but the sata hard drive
> is fine. We do not have another laptop with a sata controller at the
> moment. I am trying to get him back up and running as quickly as
> possible, and buy him sometime to pick up another laptop. Before the
> laptop died completely, I made an image of the drive and copied it to
> another sata drive. I then ran  sysprep on it, and popped it in a little
> mini-atx box. It boots up to a desktop, but does not have the drivers to
> see the USB ports (keyboard and mouse), or the nic. Is there a way to
> boot to a LIVECD, and copy the drivers to the Windows system folder, so
> on the next reboot it will see the hardware on the box?

This made me shudder. I'm not sure of an easy way to inject drivers into
an offline image using Linux. You have a couple of options as I see it,
hopefully others will chime in.

1) Run a soft reinstall of the MS OS.
2) http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc766141%28WS.10%29.aspx
3) You could try copying the INF file(s) for your drivers to
%SystemRoot%\inf and the driver files (*.sys) to
%SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\* - You can do this from the LiveCD +
Pendrive.
4) If possible, see if he is interested in Linux ;-)