On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 7:49 AM, Thomas Rieff
<trieff at greencaremankato.com> wrote:
> I commented the last line in fstab and rebooted.
> Now it hangs and I can not get back to a prompt to undue this part.
> Tried the live cd to find the md1 drive set, but no luck.
> Any thoughts???

Tom,
As someone else mentioned, seeing your fstab may help us to help you.
When you say you tried the Ubuntu live CD, I'm guessing that's the
desktop one?  I don't remember the server one being a live CD.  I'm
not positive, but I don't think the standard desktop live CD comes
with the tools required for manipulating software RAIDs.  You may need
to connect the system to the Internet after booting the live CD and
install the necessary packages.  (mdadm and ???)
I would suspect that possibly there was nothing wrong with the
/etc/fstab file, but something else was wrong, and arbitrarily
commenting out the last line of the fstab caused your system not to
mount something important on boot...like your /  partition?
The other helpful piece of information would be to know what precisely
you were doing to set up samba on this system.  You haven't described
that very well.  Knowing specific steps you took, rather than a very
vague "trying to configure samba" goes a long way in figuring out what
might have gone wrong.
- Justin