On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 9:12 AM, Thomas Rieff
<trieff at greencaremankato.com> wrote:
> As someone else mentioned, seeing your fstab may help us to help you.
> How can I get to it???

Booting from something else (cd or usb device) and opening the file from there

> When you say you tried the Ubuntu live CD, I'm guessing that's the
> desktop one?
> Yes
> Yes you are probably right. Maybe quicker to reinstall. Bummer.

Well, possibly if you were only in the process of initially setting
things up.  But as I mentioned, you can also boot to the live CD and
install the necessary packages within the live session.

> I was setting up the samba.conf  file for global shares, etc.

Well, making changes to the samba.conf (/etc/samba/smb.conf?) wouldn't
also make changes to your /etc/fstab file, so that file was probably
just fine.  You may be best to undo any changes made to the fstab,
then focus on your smb.conf.
Also, a tip when working on configuration files: sometimes it can be
handy to copy the file to filename-old (or whatever you prefer) before
editing the file.  Then if you REALLY screw something up, you can copy
the -old file back over top of the original and be back where you
started.
- Justin