Come on, Rob, let's keep things civil.  We can disagree without calling each
other trolls.  I'm making sweeping generalizations because although it may
seem like a small technical issue it's subject to the same basic laws of
governmental intervention as anything else.

Of course regulation is a double-edged sword.  Some helps keep us safe, and
some helps make us miserable.  But all of it restricts our choices, because
that's what regulations are designed to DO.  The market is free-for-all that
gives us choices.  Regulation restricts providers of goods or services from
offering us some of those choices because we (loosely defined) think those
choices are bad enough that nobody should be allowed to make them.

You asked for examples:  New vehicles are required to have seat belts in
order to be sold to the public and be allowed on the roads.  Sounds like a
reasonable regulation to me.  On the other hand, we have regulations on
telecomm companies that make them go through all kinds of crazy govt
approvals and rigid pricing structures that when I worked in the telecomm
industry 11 years ago some smaller telcos would tell me that they couldn't
afford to offer DSL to their customers because they could only lose money on
it (not because customers wouldn't pay, but because they weren't allowed to
charge enough to recoup their costs).  That may have changed by now, but I
doubt it since I have to use 3G at home because it's 2010 and Sprint still
hasn't put in a DSLAM in my area.  Specific to the FCC, we've got the
restriction on obscenity on radio and TV.  I personally think that's a good
reg (I have kids), but I know people who think we'd have better content if
we allowed freer speech on the airwaves.

Nobody here is saying all regulation is bad.  I'm saying it's a big clumsy
weapon that we should think very carefully about before using.  Some people
seem to react quickly to the issue -- your reaction, for instance, was too
quick to take the time to give examples or demonstrate any in-depth
knowledge of the issue, which is exactly what you criticized me for --
rather than thinking it through.

If regulation is the answer, so be it, but as a fellow internet user who
will have to live with those regulations for a long time -- because most
regulations, no matter how poorly written, are hard to change or undo (think
DMCA) -- I'm asking you to think it through instead of calling people names.

-Harry