On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 10:41 AM, Harry Penner <hpenner at gmail.com> wrote:

> At the risk of flames:  the Internet as we know it has flourished in
> large part because its original sponsor, the federal government, has
> mostly left it alone.  Why do we think adding government regulations
> to it will make it better (or preserve the freedom we enjoy on it)?
> Generally speaking, doesn't regulation take away freedom rather than
> increasing it, by definition?  I'm no futurist but it seems to me that
> putting restrictions on the big guys is likely to affect us little
> guys in some unforeseen but unpleasant way.
>
> Sorry if the above sounds trollish but I just think we should be
> careful what we ask  for.  With companies you can usually vote with
> your feet to try to change or avoid their bad behavior, but
> regulations are usually universal and forever...  And the regs will
> surely by written by people not nearly as close to or as thoughtful
> about the problem as we tclug'ers...
>
> Seems to me we ought to show up and tell the FCC to keep their paws off us.
>
> -Harry

Harry,

How about instead of making sweeping generalizations you make
a case for your position with supporting arguments.  Regulation
is no less a double-edged sword than an absence of regulation.
How does net-neutrality regulation harm us?  How does the
absence of net-neutrality regulation help us?  Do you even
properly understand the topic you are debating, and do you know
for a fact the federal government mostly left the internet alone
after funding its creation and development, or does it just seem
that way to you for other reasons?

I don't think you should apologize for your comments sounding
trollish.  I think you should apologize for making trollish comments.

I can already see this thread spinning away into the land of
rhetoric.

-Rob