Harry-
I like that you brought up the FCC and the indency regulations. What people
forget is that cable is not regulated the same as broadcast media (except in
cases that are deemed obscene, though I don't know how they get away with
playboy channel then).
So while I cannot say the 7 dirty words on ABC, I can on Nickelodeon. But
that is against nick's branding/business model, and so doesn't. Self
regulation (I.e. free market) has provided what the market needs.
Everyone (falsly) believes that without regulation, hardcore porn/(insert
other concerns) will spread like wildfire, but all regulations do is define
the rules that they will try and bend until the customers finally giveup and
change the channel. The customer is always the final decision maker.
**ref: http://www.fcc.gov/eb/oip/FAQ.html

Customers can fire everybody in the company from the chairman on down,
simply by spending their money somewhere else. ~Sam Walton

Vechicals needing seatbelts is an intersting regulation to debate. To sell
cars to the largest % of the population, they need to add seatbelts to every
car. Meanwhile, making wearing seatbelts a legal requirement is hypricitical
based on the fact that my motorcycle does not need seatbelts, and is more at
risk for everything that a car goes through (alot of drivers do not pay
attention to motorcycles). So the same people who demand that seatbelts need
to be worn at all times should also be fighting to abandon the use of
motorcycles, since there is no special requirements to drive a motorocycle
then a car. (Seperate licenses yes, but nothing extra needed between the
two.)
In fact, in most states that I know of (Texas, Oklahoma, California) will
allow an individual over the age of 12 to drive a motorcycle upto a certain
cc rating. Which qualifies it for driving on the freeway as long as it can
attain the minimum limit. (some states have added extra regulations on top
of the current laws to account for this obvious hyprocisy).

Regards,
Simmons